Genort Rohr took the Job of the Super Eagles in 2016 and has since.
- Failed to qualify the Nation to the biggest tournament in the continent a year after(2017) despite Nigerians being unsettled that the Nation had missed out in the previous tournament in 2015 after they were knocked out by Pharaoh of Egypt on 2-1 goal aggregate in both ties. Egypt had forced Nigeria to a 1-1 draw in Kaduna Township Stadium and won by 1-0 in Egypt. We could understand he was still new in his job and Needed time. Knowing that Egypt had not qualified 3 times at bounce in 2013, 2015 and 2017 shows this can happen to any Nation.
- In 2018 his outstanding stint began with a qualification to the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Being the first African Nation to book a place in the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Unfortunately, France knocked out the Giant of Africa to advance to the round of 16. Paul Pogba goals and Joseph Yobo horrendous home goal gave the French team the edge over Rohr’s Supers Eagles. It’s not feasible that the Super Eagles are winning the World Cup soon.
- In 2019 another AFCON spot was secured in Egypt by the Franco-German. The Supers Eagles finished as the bronze medal winner, securing the 3rd spot. Algeria won it against Senegal.
- In May 2020, he extended his contract by 2 years that should see him stay until after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
There were a few stiffened conditions in his new contract such as:
- He will be paid in local currency (Naira) which he agreed with.
- He should reside in Nigeria, NFF President Amaju Pinnick gave a detailed reason on why Rohr stays outside offshore of the current despite his contract says he should.
- He should watch some NPFL matches that he has made arrangements for.
- He should qualifier the Super Eagles for 2022 AFCON in Cameroon and World Cup in Qatar. That he has achieved 95%.
So what went Wrong For Rohr?
In my opinion, I would say that his failure can be attributed to his preference for players playing in Europe over the Local base players.
Recently 95% of players that gets his invitation are those having their stint in Europe, which is never a wrong idea. But has he commensurate how effective these players can be, playing in AFCON.
Afcon is designed for Local players considering the Stadium, fans, Officiating, Atmosphere and lots more. The AFCON is somehow a replica of the local league.
This why the Nations that have won it lately has a fusion of Local and Abroad players in the squad.
Late Stephen Keshi guided the Nation to her last AFCON in 2013 with 4 to 5 players in the starting lineup playing in the local League.
The current Egypt team has only 3 players playing in Europe. Same as the Algerian team.
Genort Rohr has failed to inject the local players into his team for 6 years of his reign. This I can say was the major downfall to Rohr’s spell.