The 22nd FIFA World Cup edition was hosted in Qatar. Argentina’s triumph over France after a penalty shoot out of 4-2. The game had ended 3-3 after 120 minutes of play, with Kylian scoring the first World Cup final hat trick since 1966 and Messi hitting a brace as well. There are some glamorous records observed as compiled by Sportjuice9ja.
- Morocco became the first country from the continent of Africa to attain the semi-final stages of the FIFA World Cup since its 92 years of existence.
- Lionel Messi in the 2022 edition is the first player to score in every round of the World Cup game.
- Stéphanie Frappart became the first female referee to officiate at a men’s World Cup game. The French referee led the first all-female officiating team for a men’s World Cup match between Costa Rica v Germany.
- Kylian Mbappé is the first player since the 1966 World Cup (Geoff Hurst) to score a hat trick in a World Cup final.
- Qatar is the first nation to host a World Cup tournament and lost its first game against Ecuador.
- Olivier Giroud (52) surpassed Thierry Henry’s (51) French all-time top scorers.
- Salima Mukansanga became the first female referee from the Confederation of African to officiate in the Men’s FIFA World Cup.
- Kylian Mbappé scored more World Cup goals(8) than any other player in history.
- Cameroon became the first African country to defeat Brazil (5 times World Winner) in a competitive game.
- Lionel Messi is the first player ever to win two adidas Golden Balls.
Leave a Reply