NPFL: Things you should know as Rivers United are set to be crowned Champions on Sunday.
Pride of Rivers were confirmed Champions of Nigeria Professional League for the 2021-22 season following the defeat arch-rival Plateau United suffered to defending champions Akwa United last month. The League Management Company will award Rivers the trophy with yet-to-be-known monetary value, although Akwa United pocketed 75 m last season.
Here are things you should know as the season comes to an end on 17 July 2022.
1. Rivers United wins the league for the first time in the club’s history since its creation in 2016 from a merger of Shark FC and Dolphins FC.
2. All the four teams (Niger Tornadoes, Shooting Stars, Gombe United and Remo Stars) that got promoted to NPFL from the second division league NNL are certain to remain in the league’s top flight. In fact, Remo Stars and Shooting Stars are top candidates for the CAF Confederation spot.
3. Should Rivers pick up a win in their last game, they will become the first side to win the league with the most point (77) and will be the first side to set a colossal merging of 13 against close rivals should plateau fail to win.
4. CAF representative candidates Enyimba FC and Kano Pillars will not play in the tournament next season. Kano Pillars could be relegated for the first time in over 20 years.
5. Rivers United clinched the league with the most wins (22) and most goals scored (57).
6. Kano Pillars, Dakadda FC, Remo Stars, Niger Tornadoes, Katsina United, MFM, Gome, Wikki Tourist and Shooting Stars, have faced sanctions this season with Pillars suffering the most of it.